Modern video cameras have numerous designs and uses, not all of which resemble the early television cameras.
- Professional video cameras, such as those used in television and sometimes film production
- Camcorders, which combine a camera and a VCR or other recording device in one unit.
- Closed-circuit television cameras, generally used for security, surveillance, and/or monitoring purposes.
- Digital cameras which convert the signal directly to a digital output.
- Special systems, like those used for scientific research, e.g. on board a satellite or a spaceprobe, or in artificial intelligence and robotics research. Such cameras are often tuned for non-visible light such as infrared (for night vision and heat sensing) or X-ray (for medical and astronomical use).